About the Post

Author Information

The Hudsucker is an online magazine made up of unique and dedicated writers with fresh voices from across the country and overseas. Our team of writers are passionate and driven, bringing forth their personalities in each article. Since its inception in 2012, The Hudsucker has continuously proven how writing is our strongest fingerprint. By creating a smart and ambitious environment for readers, the digital magazine focusing on popular culture aims to be relatable through experiences and passions.

The Hudsucker Previews Super Bowl XLVIII

NFL SB48 Matchup

It’s the moment NFL fans have been waiting for: Super Bowl Sunday is in less than two days at the MetLife Stadium in New Jersey! As many will take part in countless festivities in and around the city, the Denver Broncos and Seattle Seahawks are fiercely preparing for a match-up of the ages! The game is attracting quite a lot of attention as the two teams battle for the ultimate prize, the Lombardi Trophy and be hailed Super Bowl Champs of the 2013/2014 season, while bracing for a winter storm that just might cripple the game.

To get you up to speed, the two teams in the Super Bowl are the Denver Broncos and the Seattle Seahawks. Both teams have played tremendously this season. The Broncos are back in the Super Bowl for the first time since the last days of QB John Elway. Ultimately, they blew every team away and covered the spread in back-to-back championship games in 1997 and 1998. For the Seattle Seahawks, it’s a little different. The team has never won a Super Bowl and this is their second appearance to the famed event after losing the 2005 season to the Pittsburgh Steelers.

As our writers have been covering every week of the NFL season by sharing highlights and favorite plays of the games, our writers, Bo Dietrick, Tania Hussain, Katherine HernandezAndrew RogersChris Hill, and James Layne huddle up in one final play to preview the Super Bowl, while looking back at this prolific 2013/2014 season.

Favorite Team of the 2013/2014 Season

Bo says:

It pains me, but I’ll go with the Seattle Seahawks. Just a great story about a city that kept the faith when things were tough, brought in a new staff, gambled on a young quarterback from Wisconsin, and find themselves in the world championship shortly thereafter. Between the inclement weather and the insane fan-base, I would never want to play in Seattle as a football player. Congrats to a whole team that has collectively seen very little championship action on their great accomplishment.

Tania says:

As always, I love watching the Indianapolis Colts and that’s my recognizable answer, but if I had to pick another team I enjoyed this season, it would be the San Francisco 49ers. They are a team that has played really well but never quite make the mark and that makes them watchable, at least for me. They’ve been to the NFL Playoffs every every year since 2011 (getting to the Super Bowl last year) and seeing them get this far this year was pretty sweet, but at the same time kind of sad since they missed the mark once again. That being said, I think the Niners have shown  a solid defense and with the return of WR Michael Crabtree, he really brought not just the offensive line back to life, but the entire roster. With Crabtree on the field, he was able to really open up the other offensive players, demanding unique experiences from the likes of Vernon Davis, Frank Gore and Anquan Boldin. Another thing to see with the Niners is how QB Colin Kaepernick is showcasing a mature sensibility to the field, and that was an evolution throughout every week. He’s becoming more seasoned as time goes by and far more comfortable at his throwing mechanics.

Katherine says:

The Denver Broncos because Peyton Manning is my favorite player and I’ll always root for the team he plays for.

Image Credit: AP Photo/Getty Images America

Andrew says:

I think the obvious answer from me would be the New Orleans Saints and I did love watching them improve their defense this year, but I think my favorite team to watch (other than them) was the Kansas City Chiefs. What a year they had and, at the outset, I knew they’d be much better this year, but Alex Smith, Jamaal Charles and Andy Reid were a dream team this season and I’m so excited to see what the future holds for them. I think they can only get better from here.

Chris says:

I really enjoyed watching the Pittsburgh Steelers during the latter part of the season. They seemed to be one of the few teams striking up the right balance, and Le’veon Bell was exciting to watch. They didn’t make it to playoffs, but the early season struggles and blown call in the Chiefs v Chargers game didn’t help.

James says:

The Indianapolis Colts will always be my favorite team because that’s the way my father raised me from day one. Considering the pressure Andrew Luck is under to live up to the gigantic hole left when Peyton Manning departed, I’d say they did very well. Luck and the Colts actually won their division and constructed the 2nd-largest comeback in NFL playoff history.

Favorite Player of the 2013/2014 Season

Bo says:

Andrew Luck. Hands down the most exciting player to watch in the NFL. And that’s me putting all preferences aside! He’s young, but smart. Unchallenged, yet determined. Talented, yet humble. He’s both a phenomenal athlete, and 100% gentleman. The epitome of a role model for our young people.

Image Credit: Matt Detrich/The Indianapolis Star

Tania says:

I really thought Andrew Luck was phenomenal this season. Like mentioned in previous editions of NFL Weekly, I really feel he has come into his own and in many ways been exciting to watch flourish in the sport.  Sure he struggled a bit with his WR Reggie Wayne missing a chunk of the season, but I really feel he was able to get back into his groove and win some very important games, especially the Kansas City Chiefs Wildcard game being the highlight of his season. Luck’s got an incredible mental grasp of the playing field and since joining the team, has continued to improve, leading Indy to the playoffs this season and claiming the 2013/2014 AFC South title. On the other hand, his predecessor from the Colts organization has been unbelievable this season as well–Peyton Manning has played astonishingly this season and just look how far he’s come. His head has always been in the game and that’s incredibly fun to watch!

Katherine says:

Peyton Manning. He’s always been my favorite player and he had a great season.

Image Credit: AP Photo/Getty Images America

Andrew says:

If the answer isn’t Peyton Manning, you’re doing something wrong. This guy had a phenomenal season and proved that he’s still got it. His brilliance was never just a flash in the pan that disappeared the next game and he broke so many records this year that even my QB, Brees, has to be impressed.

Chris says:

LeSean McCoy: always fun to watch. You just can’t tackle him in open space.

James says:

I’ve lived in Indianapolis my entire life. When I was 11-years-old the Colts drafted Peyton Manning. I’m forever indebted to him and the memories he left my family and me during his 14 year run in Indy. He single-handedly turned our city into a thriving football market. Nobody questions that he’s the reason Indy got Super Bowl XLVI. Peyton Manning will be my favorite player every season, until he retires.

Memorable Plays of the 2013/2014 Season

Bo says:

If a play could be elongated to include an entire half, the final 25ish minutes of the Indianapolis Colts/Kansas City Chiefs playoff matchup is #1. Not only was it one of the greatest comebacks in NFL history, it was highlighted amazing play after amazing play from every key player on the Indianapolis squad. Donald Brown’s running, T.Y. Hilton’s reception after reception after reception, Robert Mathis’s “in-you-face” sack for a fumble, and Andrew Luck’s hustle both in the air and on the ground. It’s a game that no one in Indianapolis will soon forget, nor the nation.

Tania says:

peyton-manning-fake

Image Credit: Business Insider

There are a whole bunch! Of course, the fourth quarter comebacks by the Colts were very nail-biting to watch, as well as when Peyton Manning made his first rushing TD in five years. It was a gorgeous little naked bootleg at the goal line and no one saw it coming, and it was a super awesome moment for the fans and team, and a great surprise for the Cowboys offense–whoops! And maybe it was memorable for all the wrong reasons, but watching QB Phillip Rivers of the San Diego Chargers kick the football against the Titans was a little weird seeing as he isn’t a kicker; or QB Tony Romo of the Dallas Cowboys throwing passes to referees several times during the Vikings game. Um, those are memorable for me in terms of just what made me laugh.

Katherine says:

Peyton’s “Omaha” calls brought some much needed humor to the season.

Andrew says:

Image Credit: BostInno

Image Credit: BostInno

I’m going to say a group of plays. I loved watching two teams: the Saints and the Patriots make some pretty epic 4th Quarter comebacks this season. The Pats, especially, were a team you could never write off and Brady consistently found a way to drive it down the field and prove the doubters wrong. I’m not a Pats fan by any means, but they were exciting and memorable this season, no doubt.

Chris says:

Kembrell Thompkins’ touchdown catch at the end of the New England Patriots versus New Orleans Saints game.

James says:

On Dec. 22 Denver Broncos quarterback, Peyton Manning, broke the single season touchdown record (again) this time with 51. The Broncos were visiting the Houston Texans, and in a classy manner, the Texans fans gave Manning a standing ovation. Hands down, my most memorable play of the season.

Predictions: Were We on The Ball?

Image Credit: WNYC.org

Bo says:

Something told me very early in the season that the Denver Broncos might coast into the Super Bowl. Call it intuition, or call it multiple records broken by team captain Peyton Manning. Seattle, on the other hand, plays in an NFC that’s “anybody’s game.” They looked strong early on, but there was not telling who could last the longest. I’ve always been a Manning fan, and always will be, but as an Indianapolis Colts loyalist it becomes difficult to cheer for Denver. Russell Wilson and the entire Seahawks squad have such a neat “started from the bottom” story, that it made them a fun team to follow.

Tania says:

With the way the Colts were playing at the start of the season–minus the Dolphins game–I had high hopes and really believed they could sail through and make it to the Super Bowl once again, this time with QB Andrew Luck at the helm of it all. After they defeated the Seahawks and Broncos, they started losing some really odd games and that kind of made me think they just weren’t ready yet. There were too many close calls and my mindset changed, looking ahead to the Broncos who came off an amazing season, finishing 13-3 and being quite consistent in their plays. I ended up believing after defeating the Chiefs, it was really possible for the Denver Broncos to make it through and get to the Super Bowl. I never imagined seeing the Seahawks in there though. Quite frankly, I would hoping to see either the Niners or Saints take on the Broncos.

Katherine says:

Not necessarily, I thought Denver would go from the AFC but my early season prediction was that either Green Bay or San Francisco would make it from the NFC.

Andrew says:

Despite my love for NOLA, this was my Superbowl Prediction at the outset. I knew Manning wasn’t going to let last year’s upset happen again and Seattle has been a team on the cusp of a Superbowl for a while now. It was the predictable result but, in some ways, I feel like Denver‘s definitely the right one.

Chris says:

No, but I was hoping for a good Super Bowl match-up though–Bears versus Steelers, Broncos versus Eagles, Houston versus Atlanta. Funny isn’t it?

James says:

I had the Denver Broncos playing the San Francisco 49ers. Since the Colts are not in the big game I’m 100 percent rooting for the Broncos. Again, if you lived in Indy and were old enough to understand the legend of Manning, you’d always root for him as well. Although the sports fan in me wouldn’t mind seeing a talented young Russell Wilson (Seattle Seahawks quarterback) take down the Hall of Famer.

Who Will Win Super Bowl XLVIII?

Peyton Manning (left) and the Denver Broncos will face off in Super Bowl XLVIII against the Seattle Seahawks and quarterback Russell Wilson. // Image Credit: Charlie Riedel/AP Photo | Elaine Thompson/AP Photo

Bo says:

My gut tells me that the Denver Broncos are the team of fate this season, but the Seahawks are an incredible story. I predict a close game, thanks to the scrappy, high-intensity attitude of Seattle. But the Broncos are helmed by one of the greatest quarterbacks in NFL history, trump the Seahawks in seniority, and top-notch strategy. Plus, the Seahawks will be without there home field that has faired so well for them all year. I’ll take Denver.

Tania says:

OMAHA! I am going with my gut and my gut says, Denver. I know it may be really strong to say, and it might be too early but I don’t care. I really feel the Broncos have the strength, the clout, and definitely all the right reasons to win. They have been doing really great this season and even though I root for the Colts, it’s kind of bittersweet that Manning got into the Super Bowl, just not in his ‘famous’ blue and white suit. With that in mind, in these past two years, he has done great for himself and really worked hard. At one point, his career really was in limbo but he persevered through the adversities and I think he is exactly where he needs to be right now. That sort of optimism definitely reflects onto the field where he is also coach to the team and masters the no-huddle offense. The Broncos have a good chance of defeating the Seahawks as I’m certain the Denver offense and Manning will be moving the ball quite a bit in this game. I’m hoping the Denver defense will be able to replicate their performance against New England by containing Seattle and their depleting rushing attack. This game will be quite the nail-biter–guaranteed! OMAHA!

Katherine says:

I think Denver will win. Peyton has been playing really well and they have a lot of experience on that team. The Seahawks are good, but they barely made it past San Francisco in the NFC championship game at home. Although with the added unpredictability of the elements, it could be anyone’s game.

Andrew says:

Oh, tough question. I think the Broncos have an amazing offense and Seattle has a spectacular defense and neither of them are weak in the other area either. It’s tough to say because they haven’t played each other and they’re both outdoor teams so they won’t really be affected by the potential for bad weather. I think Seattle’s defense has a fair shot of plugging Manning up but I think it has to be Peyton & Co. The Denver Broncos just have the story to win it all this year.

Chris says:

Seattle Seahawks, because if you look at how dominant their defense is, I really don’t see a high scoring game. If that is the case, you have to go with the more physical team to grind it out.

James says:

The Denver Broncos will win the Super Bowl. There’s no way in this world that Manning and the Broncos will not close out their historic year in style. Their offense set just about every record imaginable. Sure, the Seahawks are praised for their excellent defense, but Manning will pick it apart. And if he doesn’t, he’ll find another way against a team with only one (special teams) player that’s been to the big dance.

It seems the majority of us who took part at The Hudsucker, predict that the Denver Broncos will win. Do you think so too? We want to hear from you! What did you think of the 2013/2014 NFL Season? Did you get your predictions right? Let us know in the comments and vote below as to who you think will win the Super Bowl XLVIII!

Advertisements

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. U2 Debuts ‘Invisible’ During Super Bowl XLVIII for (RED) Campaign | The Hudsucker - February 1, 2014

[…] that over 100 million viewers are expected to tune into the Fox Network’s broadcast of the big game where the Denver Broncos will take on the Seattle Seahawks at the MetLife Stadium in New Jersey […]

2. U2 Debuts ‘Invisible’ During Super Bowl XLVIII For (RED) Campaign | westlifebunny - February 1, 2014

[…] that over 100 million viewers are expected to tune into the Fox Network’s broadcast of the big game where the Denver Broncos will take on the Seattle Seahawks at the MetLife Stadium in New […]